Educate Plus

Enrolment Interviews

Home Forums Members Admissions Enrolment Interviews

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Rachel Marchetto
      Forum Participant

Hi Everyone,
      I would love to hear what other schools do in regards to enrolment interviews?
      Who does them?
      When do you do them?
      Do you do them as the enrolment application comes in or does the staff ‘save them up’ for a block of time

Sarah Onions
      Forum Participant

Hi Rachel
      We do our interviews in two ways.
      For last minute or imminent enrolments we arrange with a Senior member of staff to interview as soon as practicable. If there is a group of students we would try and block a time for the member of staff to do a few in a row. We find it is best not to have too many on the same day as they can become a blur for the interviewer to remember each individual child and their attributes & conversation. Most of them we either schedule first thing – so from 7.30am to 8.30-9am or from around 2-5pm in the afternoon, so the staff can fit around their academic program.

The rest of our interviews we do on a rotating schedule each year at the time we are formally enrolling our entry years for future year groups.
      So for instance Year 7 is always done at the beginning of when the students are in Year 5. Year 5 is done around 18 months in advance. Kindy to Year 3 are done 8-12months in advance and Year 10 are done 8 months in advance. These dates can be flexible based on circumstances at the time but in general it is a set pattern each year. For some year groups, such as Year 10, we also do interviews in multiple rooms on a Saturday and have a team of interviewers going at once.

We have a team of Senior Academic staff for each part of the school who conduct the interviews, with myself as Director of Enrolments & the Head of Boarding, School Counsellor and Learning Support brought in as appropriate. I will interview students as required for last minute, staff illness/meetings, Scholarships etc.
      We find it best for the child & family to meet with those who will be involved in their day to day academic & pastoral care rather than just myself as I will not be part of their daily school life.

The interviews are done in blocks of 3-6 students with a member of the Senior Staff given a series of dates & times and they each do a group of potential students. So the Head of Junior/Middle/Senior School, their Deans and or/Deputies take the interviews. We send families a link to choose from a calendar a time that suits them and they self manage their booking – saves endless emails & phone calls, and then we give the agenda to the interviewer. This year we have been doing all our interviews via Microsoft Teams instead.
      Does that help for a basic outline? Please let me know if you want to chat further.
      regards
      Sarah

Rachel Marchetto
        Forum Participant

Hi Sarah,
        Thank you so much for your reply! It’s very helpful information – and I’d love to chat more to you in time.
        One issue I’m finding is that we don’t have a waitlist, so we are very reactive and try to process every application completely when each one comes through. Our Head of Primary does the primary interviews and our 2 Heads of Secondary’s do the 7-12 interviews. It does take up a lot of their time, too!
        I would like explore a more efficient process overall, but as we don’t have the luxury of a waitlist and the need for more enrolments, we seem to just deal with each one.
        I’m sure there must be a better way of doing it, that utilizes everyone and their roles more efficiently.
        We are also looking at how we can target certain year groups that we need more numbers in.
        Love to talk more and see how you run it all!
        Kind regards,
        Rachel

Rachel Marchetto
      Forum Participant

Hi Sarah,
      Thank you so much for your reply! It’s very helpful information – and I’d love to chat more to you in time.
      One issue I’m finding is that we don’t have a waitlist, so we are very reactive and try to process every application completely when each one comes through. Our Head of Primary does the primary interviews and our 2 Heads of Secondary’s do the 7-12 interviews. It does take up a lot of their time, too!
      I would like explore a more efficient process overall, but as we don’t have the luxury of a waitlist and the need for more enrolments, we seem to just deal with each one.
      I’m sure there must be a better way of doing it, that utilizes everyone and their roles more efficiently.
      We are also looking at how we can target certain year groups that we need more numbers in.
      Love to talk more and see how you run it all!
      Kind regards,
      Rachel

Sarah Onions
      Forum Participant

Hi Rachel
      Happy to chat anytime my number is 02 8438 7209 or email sonions@barker.nsw.edu.au

We also arrange with each Head of School to give us time blocked out in their diaries in advance each month. We are then at liberty to fill that with appointments for them to interview children. If they do not get used they get the time back (which they love!). It does help to then be able to say to families who are making applications that we have some set times for interviewing available on XX dates & times and you can book them in – for instance you could say to families we interview students for Year 7 on every 2nd Wednesday, and Junior School on Tuesdays/Thursdays and so on.

That may help you with still being reactive to processing a new application quickly, but not having to try and arrange interviews in already very busy diaries.

Regards
      Sarah

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We thank our Organisational Platinum Sponsors